Adopt. Donate. Volunteer.

Humane Society of Fremont County

A young boy presses his hands against the glass while a dog stands up and presses its paws against the other side.

The Humane Society of Fremont County has been dedicated to ending animal homelessness and providing care and comfort for companion animals in need. Our adoption programs, affordable veterinary services, community outreach efforts and volunteer opportunities are essential to the health and well-being of every animal across Fremont and Custer County, Colorado.

Our mission is to provide humane care for stray and surrendered animals by offering refuge, providing medical care, and facilitating an adoptive home. Only 19% of our budget is municipally funded, so the other 81% comes from donations, grants, bequests and fundraising events to further our mission of caring for the neglected and abandoned pets of Fremont and Custer County, Colorado.

Open-Admission Shelter

As a proud open-admission shelter, the pets of Humane Society of Fremont County remain in our care until they find their forever home. The Humane Society of Fremont County understands that people in Fremont & Custer County, Colorado may struggle financially from time to time and so we offer:

Our slogan, "Where Every Life Matters" could not more accurate. Every last life truly matters to us all. 

We Need Your Help!

Every Contribution Helps

Humane Society of Fremont County needs your help! We provide vital services to animals in need in the Fremont and Custer County areas. We appreciate any help we can get, and thank you for supporting our mission to give these animals a second chance at life. Here is a list of ways people can help us:

    • Donate money online through our PayPal donation form or Venmo, or by sending a check or cash to our mailing address.
    • Sponsor a Shelter Cage and have your name or business displayed prominently on a large cage plaque for twelve calendar months.
    • Contribute needed items like postage stamps, dog and cat food, dry treats, towels, collars and leashes, and pet crates. You can also donate lightly used items that can be sold in our annual yard sale.
    • Donate a Kuranda bed through our Donate-a-Bed Program to provide clean and comfortable beds for our animals.
    • Shop at our retail shelter store and every purchase you make will benefit the animals we care for. You can find a wide variety of pet-related items, and if you adopt a cat or a dog, you will receive 10% off your entire retail purchase



Humane Society of Fremont County is an outstanding animal shelter that cares deeply about the animals they receive. We were fortunate enough to be able to provide a kitty a new forever home. The staff were professional at all times and and are very careful to make sure animals are going to a suitable environment. The facility is kept really clean and comfortable to be in. The procedures to adopt an animal are very clear and easy to follow. We are very happy with our experience!

Allen H Cañon City, Colorado

I think the Humane Society of Fremont County has a group of very dedicated individuals who love their job. They give you advice and are knowledgeable about their jobs. I had a chip put on my dog there and years later they were able to pull up my dog's information as to what I needed. They informed me about important details as to what needed done for my circumstances. Very well recommended.

Susy H Cañon City, Colorado

Outstanding experience here for sure! I originally came in looking for a specific dog from the website, upon meeting that dog, it was clear that we were not a good fit together, but Bre (who was the one helping me) took the time to get to know our situation, and said "hang on, there's someone you should meet" then she brought my boy, Drax, and he instantly jumped up in my arms and gave me a hug. Now, 2 years later, our Drax is still a perfect fit for my son and I, he loves to snuggle, wrestle, and go for rides in the car. Can't thank the Humane Society of Fremont County, and Bre enough.

Dillon E Cañon City, Colorado

We Have Pets That Need a Forever Home!

Help Keep These Pets Safe & Healthy!